About Me

My photo
Female. Early 20's. Enjoys Video Games. Sanity? Questionable.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Archdemon Has Fallen

A post on the very next day? With results? Madness!!!

Certainly does seem that way anyway.

I completed the main story of Dragon Age: Origins. I left a few side missions unresolved but I really don't care that much about them as I'm pretty sure it didn't hinder the ending of the game that much. (If it did, I don't want to hear about it, let me enjoy completing the god damned game in peace)

The final battle against the Archdemon left quite a bit to be desired. The entire final march against the Blight actually left me feeling rather let down. I was expecting a hard battle towards the Archdemon, filled with Hurlocks, Hurlock Vanguards, Ogres and Hurlock Emissaries. There were certainly a good number of those, but not enough to make me feel like this was the final battle. I'm also not sure whether this is something the game actually does or this is some strange bug, but when I faced them en-masse, most of them were one-hit kills. Although that was definitely satisfying, it struck me as if the game was simply trying to hurry me along and made the enemies that much weaker. As if to say, "Oh, dearie, I know you aren't strong enough yet for the whole onslaught so have a few lackeys instead." I felt insulted. By a game.

Don't misunderstand me, I was definitely happy to be going through the ending as quickly as I was so I could cross this game off my to-do list, but I felt like there wasn't much of a challenge to be had on my way to the Archdemon. When I finally reached the Archdemon, even that battle was terribly disappointing. Not because it was dreadfully easy, that bastard made me fight for his blood, but because there wasn't any impressive ending graphic of everyone attacking the Archdemon. I wanted my Grey Warden to hop onto the thing's back and have to stab it in the back numerous times before performing a flip over its head as the Archdemon aimed to grab her off its back with its massive jaw,  landing in front of the Archdemon and running underneath it while her daggers cut into the exposed neck of the creature, rolled out from beneath it as it bled out and then stabbed it square in the face.

That didn't happen. Though, now I am seriously considering animating it.

Anyway, the kingdom was saved, experienced peace for a time, political bullshit, blah blah blah. I was happy to be done with the game but felt the entire experience had been a bit lacking in substance. Then, I remembered I had all that DLC to go through.

Leliana's Song
Golems of Amgarrak
The Darkspawn Chronicles
Witch Hunt
Dragon Age: Awakening

I've already completed Leliana's Song, The Golems of Amgarrak and The Darkspawn Chronicles. I am currently in the process of completing Witch Hunt and then beginning Dragon Age: Awakening. I'll write up my experiences with each one later on in the week. Maybe if Dragon Age: Awakening is more satisfying than the whole of Dragon Age: Origins, I'll consider purchasing Dragon Age II. For now, I have no plans of doing so.

Cheers.


No comments:

Post a Comment